An easy “funfetti” unicorn cake recipe, decorated with a pastel colored buttercream and topped with a golden horn!
The steps of the cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Grease and line three round cake pans 15 cm in diameter.
- In the medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one per year, beating well after each addition. Incorporate the vanilla and almond extracts and mix everything well.
- On low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Incorporate the rainbow sprinkles into the dough.
- Distribute the dough evenly among the three cake pans and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, level the surface using a cake leveler.
- Stack the three cakes on a cake board, assembling them using the white frosting between each layer.
- Use a turntable to smooth the white frosting all over the cake.
Use the white fondant to make the horn of the unicorn.
- Mix a few drops of almond extract with the edible gold powder and then apply this mixture to the horn.
- Use the teardrop cookie cutters to cut out ears from the white fondant, then paint the inside of the ears gold (video at 6:43). Poke a toothpick into the bottom of each ear.
- Arrange rosettes on top and along one side of the cake with the pastel pink and purple frostings, using piping # 824 (video at 5:19).
- Add some details to the decoration with the pastel pink and dark purple frostings, each fitted with a # 4B nozzle, and with the pastel blue and dark purple frostings, each fitted with a # 2A nozzle (video at 5:45).
- Line the eyes on the front center of the cake with the black frosting. Place the horn on top of the cake, in the center, and the ears on either side of the horn.
- Ta-da! This colorful unicorn cake will bring magic whatever the occasion!
The ingredients and accessories of the recipe
2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 / 8 teaspoon of salt
- 115g salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup of margarine
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 2 cuillères à café d'extrait de vanille
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- ¾ cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- White buttercream frosting
- Pastel pink buttercream frosting in piping bags with tips # 824 and # 4B
- Pastel blue buttercream frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a # 2A nozzle
- Pastel purple buttercream frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a # 824 nozzle
- Dark purple buttercream frosting in piping bags with # 2A and # 4B tips
- Black butter cream frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a # 4 nozzle
- White fondant
- Edible gold powder
- Small food brushes
- Rolling pin for fondant
- Teardrop cookie cutter
- Lollipop stick
- Three round cake pans 15 cm in diameter
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 15 cm diameter cake board
- Cake stand
- Cake turntable
- Offset spatulas
- Small sieve
- Bowl of powdered sugar
- Almond extract